Like most of my Fridays, I usually run out on most of the ingredients from my kitchen, but I love it because that’s when I really have to get creative and try to make a meal out of few left overs. This dish is very simple, super delicious and I think you should try it at least once. Initially I started with beets and potatoes and then I added a quick spinach & fennel salad with strawberry lime dressing and why not, few tofu strips with smoked salt and crushed pepper to make it complete.
As I say it in all my postings I do not fry, simmer, boil, or cook with heated oil. All my recipes are health oriented, I use oil only on cold dishes, or when the heat from cooked dishes cooled off for a bit. You can always adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Ingredients for Beets & Spiced Potatoes
- Peel beets and potatoes and slice them round shape about ½ inch
- Set beets on the bottom of the tray and sprinkle the seasonings as stated on ingredients
- Lay sweet potatoes on top of the beets and sprinkle seasonings again
- Add potatoes to the top and sprinkle the last of the herbs and seasonings
- Pour about ¾ cup water into the tray and put it in the oven
- Bake it at 395ºF for about half hour or until you can poke the beets and potatoes with a fork (add water if needed)
I like to set up the beets and potatoes forming a pyramid, this way I get to see all of them and gives it more color. When done, take it out of the oven and let it cool off for a bit, then sprinkle some olive oil on top and squeeze a bit of lime.
- On a pan put some Super Firm tofu cut in 1” stripes
- Cook covered with a lid, on medium heat until gets a slight yellowish color
- When done, set it on a plate and spray a bit water and olive oil on it then add some smoked salt and a bit of fresh crushed pepper
- Toss it with your hands and let it marinate for 1 minute.
- Spinach – about a handful per person
- Fennel – 1 cup thin sliced
- Dressing – in a blender add: 2 strawberries, 1 tsp olive oil, juice for ½ lime, pinch of salt
Toss all the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy it along with Smoky Tofu and Beet & Seasoned Potatoes. You can add some scallions, or chives for garnish.