This is a super, simple and absolutely, truly delicious oatmeal cookie recipe. There are only few ingredients, some spices and toppings of your choice with endless possibilities. I love this cookies because you can really get creative and make different kinds, all in one batch. My hubby is addicted to them, specially that he’s on a low fat, no wheat and no sugar diet for now. The best part of it is that you don’t use any sweeteners, no sugar, no syrup of any kind, no stevia. I saw something similar online and I thought that I could spice it up a little bit and get more creative with it. So here it is.
- Oats – 2 cups
- Bananas – 2 large super over riped
- Apple – 1 medium red shredded
- Lemon zest – 1 Tbsp, or
- Orange zest – 1 Tbsp, or both
- Vanilla Bean – about ½ tsp grinded, or you can use Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salt
As I said before, the best part is that you can play with it as you like. You can substitute apple with peach, or any other sweet fruit that you can mash it in, or simply just use only bananas. You can add some shredded coconut to the dough, or mix in some grinded nuts of your choice. You can put some of the dough aside and add some carob, or cacao to the mixture. Also you can try to blend in some peanut butter, or almond butter with a bit of Almond Extract – yummy.
- In a large bowl add the Oats, Vanilla Beans, Salt, Lemon Zest and Orange Zest and mix it all together.
- Add bananas to the mixture and blend it in using a fork, or a hand dough kneader, until you form a nice smooth dough.
- Add the apple, or the fruit of your choice and mix it all in with the oats and bananas.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a ball and shape it like a cookie by squishing the dough between your palms. You can have your hands a bit wet so the dough would not stick to your palms.
- Pick the toppings you would like to use and line the cookies on a cookie tray covered with some parchment paper
- Preheat oven at 360ºF and bake the cookies for about 20-30 minutes, or until you see the cookies get a bit golden brown.
- Once done, take the cookies out and put them aside to cool off before you set them on a plate.
There is no need to leave space between the cookies because it won’t raise during baking.
For toppings, I like to use
- goji berries,
- chocolate/carob chips.
It’s really easy to make this cookies because the combinations are unlimited, just have fun with it. Use nut butters, or nuts inside the dough, use different type of spices, mint extract, rose petals, lavender and so much more. You can even use candies, jelly beans, or gummy bears for toppings, just go crazy with it and make a colorful cookie plate. Use your imagination, get creative, it is a great plate at any party.
Hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I am